Fixer Upper Update #1
Heyyyy there guys! Are you ready to get caught up to speed with this fixer upper update?
This post is meant to get everyone caught up to speed on 1. our fixer upper, 2. the always slightly out of reach (and always changing) move in date and 3. the Vlog Series that I started but can’t finish.
I’m going to cut to to the chase so this post isn’t 8,945 words long.
But first, did you see that I finally posted about the AMAZE-BALLS multivitamins that I take?!? Well I did, and I’ll link to it at the bottom of this post!!
The Fixer Upper Update
The Fixer Upper Timeline
We bought this fixer upper, a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house with a 1 bedroom apartment above the garage in July of 2016. We then spent 8 months (nights and weekends mainly) fixing up the 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment which wound up far exceeding our budget and timeline.
But, once meticulously renovated, the apartment rented in three days and we’ve had wonderful tenants ever since! You guys, passive income rocks. Just sayin’.
Then we moved onto fixing up the house and wanted to be moved in by the end of the summer. That didn’t happen.
Then we wanted to be moved in by halloween. That didn’t happen.
Then we made “the final” deadline of December 7th, aka my 30th birthday. I made a huge deal about it, we told everyone that’s what was happening… I even made a Vlog series with the title “The 6 Week Countdown to Move In Day!” And it still didn’t happen.
But don’t let my attitude about it fool you. Yes I’m disappointed that we aren’t moved in, but life doesn’t always work exactly the way you want it to but you always end up where you’re supposed to be – I believe that anyway.
So I think the universe is telling us we need to take a chill pill on rushing to move out. – Because really, how many people are lucky enough to even have a place to stay while they renovate their next place? So we are truly blessed to have Todd’s Nana in our lives.
As of this post we still need to
- Finish the bathroom which means paint, waterproof, tile, trim, etc.
- Finish the third bedroom entailing spackling, sanding, priming, painting.
- Finish the kitchen by drilling for our faucet, grouting our backsplash and figuring out how to put those dang roller drawers I bought to put my pots and pans in!
- Get the plumber back to finish up.
- Get the HVAC guy over to put the vent through the toe-kick in the vanity (that has yet to be built and can’t be built until we tile the floor,) shorten our gas line to the stove and add bendable hose and install our thermostat (the electricians couldn’t figure it out.)
- Touch up paint living room, dining room and hallway.
- And more stuff I know I’m forgetting – oh! Like lighting, doorknobs and closet bars – oh my!
2. Move In Deadline
On that note, our updated move in date is December 31st, aka Todd’s 38th birthday aka New Year’s Eve, aka in 8 DAYS!!!!
We’ve lived with Todd’s Nana for 3 years and not only was she recently in the hospital (a few times) and put a scare into all of us but we feel bad up and leaving while she’s going through a difficult time and right before the holidays, so now we’re trying for right after the holidays instead.
And when we thought about it more we found all these other reasons for not moving out in a hurry:
- We can take our time moving furniture in and we can bring boxes over each time we come to work on the house (which means we may not have to ask for much help moving. You are welcome friends and family )
- We can decorate, hang shelves and organize things slowly and when we have time.
- We can relax (a little) and enjoy the fixer upper journey a little more.
- I can take the time to share it with you guys! I am all about Instagram stories, so go check them out to see what’s going on RIGHT NOW at the fixer upper.
So here’s the thing though, we’re already having doubts about the move in deadline of New Years Eve! Not to be a negative Nancy or an excuse machine, but a lot of things that slowed us up/are slowing us up are totally out of our control. But we have to accept it all in peace and serenity knowing that the universe must have a beautiful plan in store for us.
So it’s totally okay if we don’t move in by December 31st! Although I think it’d be awesome to wake up in our new home on the first day of January 2018 and start the new year off in our new home… what’s a few more days or even a week or two in the grand scheme of life?
3. The Vlog Series “6 Week Countdown”
I’m going to be honest… I hate Vlogging! That is why I’m so glad I only committed to this one series.
The Vlog series was supposed to be a weekly video fixer upper update with the last episode “airing” on move in day, aka my birthday aka it doesn’t matter because it didn’t happen anyway.
Here’s my thing with the Vlogging. It seems like double to triple the amount of work as doing it live (or almost live) on social media. With the Vlog, I have to plan out what I’m going to talk about. Then I have to film it. Then I have to download it. Then I have to edit it. Then I have to upload it. And then I have to post it and write a short catchy little description and publish it! So much time and so many steps are involved with that!
If I go live or post in my Insta stories (and now Facebook stories too you guys!!!!) it all happens in one shot and I save a lot of time and energy.
On that note however, there will be one more Vlog episode but it will be after we move into the house. So the date of when the last Vlog episode will be posted is to be determined. Follow me on social media (Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest) to find out when the new Vlog post goes live!
And don’t forget to subscribe to get notifications when a new blog post is up!! And if you’re a fellow blogger, drop your website below, I love connecting with other bloggers (and collaborating !)
And here’s the link I mentioned above to the amaze-balls multivitamins I take and I swear by. (I seriously feel a difference if I forget to take them three days in a row, which unfortunately happens more often than I’d like. Because ya know – I’m a StoneHead. ) If you decide you want to give them a shot, let me know before you order so we can try and get you another 10% OFF!!!